Our History began in 1916...
The forerunner of the Woman's Club of Douglaston was The Woman's Civic Club of Douglaston. What an active organization it was, devoted to discussion of literature, art and current issues. It grew rapidly with different six committees, There were many duplications of the Douglaston Civic Association, a men only group. Mrs. Jenks, the President of the Woman's Civic Club of Douglaston wrote a letter in 1925 asking for the admission of women to the Douglaston Civic Association with the purpose of merging both organizations to work together in the benefit of the community. The request was rejected! So the name was changed to
Woman's Club of Douglaston.
The Woman’s Club of Douglaston (WCD) is proud of its distinguished heritage, diverse and dedicated membership and unwavering commitment to giving back. Over the years, members have provided thousands of volunteer hours and raised thousands of dollars for a broad range of charities and not-for-profit organizations throughout Douglaston and beyond.
Hard work, however, is not only what we are about. Numerous cultural, civic and social interests are nurtured here on a regular basis including cooking classes, volunteer projects, book clubs, bridge club, author luncheons, evening programs, fashion shows, day at the races, and garden club projects.
We respect our tradition but know that women’s lives are different today than when we began over 100 years ago. We’ve made adjustments to the needs, interests and availability of women today.
We believe all women can embrace who they are, can define their future, and can change the world.